Wednesday, January 19, 2005

 

Cocktail Without A Name


I teach the chic and fabulous people of L.A. to cook, which I love to do, but no matter how much fun I am having, it is still work. So when it comes to relaxing, I get together with my incredible friends and have a few drinks, including my favorite: Cocktail Without A Name. (So named mostly because I refuse to call it a Saketini.) Now, before you go thinking I am the sort of girl who doesn’t know enough to use premium liquor, I will just point out that after many trials, I found Stoli works best because it has the most neutral flavor. Make your non-mixed drinks top shelf, but for this, go with the less expensive stuff. Oh, and I know I mentioned this before, but I will say it again…skip the martini glasses. Use a chilled whiskey glass or a double old fashioned; less spillage, and altogether more sophisticated. Cheers!

FOR THE VODKA:
1 750 ml bottle of Stoli vodka

¾ cup fresh ginger, peeled and sliced thin

Pour yourself a shot or two of the vodka (oh come on, you deserve it!), then add the ginger to the bottle. Let steep in the freezer for about a week and up to three months.

FOR THE COCKTAIL:
2 oz. Ginger Vodka
1 oz. Pear Sake
½ cup ice, crushed
Pickled ginger, for garnish

Pour the vodka, sake and ice into a cocktail shaker and give it a shake, (Quickly. You don't want the ice melting and diluting your drink, do you?) then strain into a glass, garnish with a little pickled ginger on a cocktail pick and serve. Makes one drink. Repeat as needed.

______________________________________________

For more information on Sake, visit
True Sake

“The 2005 Dietary Guidelines translate into 2,000 calories for women (age 31 to 50) and 2,400
calories for men (same age group). The guidelines are designed to make sure you get all your
nutrients from food, not supplements. To spread the word, officials will roll out a new symbol
based on the guidelines to replace the Food Guide Pyramid, which despite its popularity was
widely ignored.” SF Chronicle

Queen Elizabeth I of England is credited with the invention of the gingerbread man.
(Of COURSE she did!)

Tiffany posted a comment I made to her on her site Breakfast at Tiffany's (which Colin
thought was a diet blog at first. Tee hee.) What my old friend neglected to mention was
that I think that if that were true it would have triggered the apocalypse.






Labels:


Comments:
Mmm, ginger and pear are one of my favorite combos. I made a crystallized-ginger vodka recently for a similar drink:
The Gilded Pear
 
Post a Comment

<< Home
Post a Comment

<< Home
... Chefs Blogs


... Click for Beverly Hills, California Forecast


This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?



All of the original words and pictures on this site are copyrighted property. (So there. Nyah.) With that in mind, please ask permission first and give due credit, if you plan on reproducing any part of it. Thanks so much!

2003-2008 COPYRIGHT (C) Fresh Approach Cooking