Thursday, February 03, 2005

 

Taramosalata


It seems important to me to share that I found (Eureka!) the makers of the (now) infamous Gourmet Curry Gurken (for those not following, I bought a jar of pickles while on vacation in south America, became obsessed with them and am unable to buy them here, causing heartache and rationing.). I emailed the manufacturer and asked if they sell them in Southern California, and have not heard back. Don’t they know how much I love their pickles and want to hear from them? (I love their pickles so much I would write a song about them if I were at all musically inclined.) They are little and sweet, they are crunchy and have just the right amount of salt, plus a great curry kick. It is a dream combination to me. They are, in fact, the perfect pickle. On the other hand, Trader Joes Kosher Dill pickles are not so great. So, alas, my love goes unrequieted, and I must just blog about my woes until the good people of Nowkan write back or somebody in Germany takes pity on me and sends some along. In the mean time, I had some friends over last night for a little pre-drinks nosh (with drinks, of course) and made some taramosalata. If you’ve never had this Greek dip, I urge you to try it. It’s creamy (yet, dairy free) and salty and tastes like the sea. It's pink, which is such a sensational color and it's caviar (sort of) so it qualifies as one of the best things ever. I love it, and hope you enjoy!


Six slices stale white bread, crusts removed
(Or, one large cooked potato, skin removed)
¼ cup
red fish roe
Zest and juice of one large lemon
½ cup extra virgin olive oil

First you must soak the bread in water for a few minutes, then squeeze the water out.In a blender add the bread and roe and puree. Add the olive oil slowly until the mixture seems almost creamy. Add the lemon zest and juice and puree to combine. Taste and add more oil or lemon juice as needed.


Some people add a small chopped onion, I leave it out. Serve with a parsley garnish.

__________________________________________

The Kabbalah Center is launching an energy drink.
“We’re going after the Red Bull market,” says spokesman Darin Ezra.
“But Kabbalah Energy Drink tastes better.”

A U.S. government ruling legally classified the paddlefish
(a fish found in the Mississippi river) a sturgeon, so paddlefish
(a cousin of the true sturgeon) roe can be sold as American caviar.

Did you hear the joke about the butter?
I'd better not tell you 'cause you might spread it around.





Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home
Post a Comment

<< Home
... Chefs Blogs


... Click for Beverly Hills, California Forecast


This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?



All of the original words and pictures on this site are copyrighted property. (So there. Nyah.) With that in mind, please ask permission first and give due credit, if you plan on reproducing any part of it. Thanks so much!

2003-2008 COPYRIGHT (C) Fresh Approach Cooking