Monday, April 04, 2005

 

Simple Asparagus


Well, in case it wasn’t terribly obvious from my last few posts, I gave a cooking demonstration this past Sunday at the West Los Angeles Farmers Market. Thanks to the dreamy weather, and the crowd who were so attentive and asked such great questions, it went super well. Thank you so much to everyone who came. Darling Nathalie, the market organizer, had requested some simple recipes based on the season -- specifically leeks and asparagus and I did my best to rise to the occasion. It was a delightful challenge, since I adore both and am always excited to show people new ways to prepare vegetables. Leeks I feel are especially underused, finding their way into the soup pot more often than anything, instead of as a brilliant side dish, so it was a thrill to offer up this most simple, but elegant recipe. I was lucky enough to use Spring Hill butter (since they are vendors at the market) and am now a convert to their ultra-rich Jersey cow butter. If it is available in your area, I do suggest you pick some up. Anyway, here is the recipe for asparagus that I demonstrated, try it and enjoy!

1 pound of asparagus, trimmed
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1/4 cup chicken stock
Zest of one lemon

In a medium sized soup pot melt your butter over moderate heat and add the asparagus.

Turn the heat to high and cook, stirring occasionally, about three minutes, until they are slightly browned. Add the broth and zest. Cover and simmer for 3 more minutes, or until they are just crisp tender. Taste and season with salt and pepper.

Can be served hot, but I prefer them cold.

Serves four

_________________________________________________


Margarine was first produced in France in the late 19th century.
Barley was mentioned in the Bible as one of the foods that was destroyed by the plagues of Egypt. (Exodus 9:31)

Anchovies are members of the herring family



Comments:
This sounds delicious. I believe I may try it this week.
 
This sounds delicious. I believe I may try it this week.
 
Like very mild onions my hubby said. First time we've tried leeks as a side dish. Will have to experiment again. Thanks for the recipe and inspiration!
 
Post a Comment

<< Home
Post a Comment

<< Home
... Chefs Blogs


... Click for Beverly Hills, California Forecast


This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?



All of the original words and pictures on this site are copyrighted property. (So there. Nyah.) With that in mind, please ask permission first and give due credit, if you plan on reproducing any part of it. Thanks so much!

2003-2008 COPYRIGHT (C) Fresh Approach Cooking