Sunday, December 11, 2005

 

Field Roast Salad

.
If you are at all like me, it doesn't matter how many times you go to the market, there is always something new and fresh that catches your eye and sends your mind to the kitchen. But when in doubt, you can always ask for a sample of something from the pre-made/prepared food section, right?

That was what I did earlier this week. While wistfully eyeing the prepared salads at my local Whole Foods, I asked for a sample of what I'm pretty sure was called Smoked Tomato Field Roast Salad. It was, in a word, tasty. Chewy, crunchy, piquant, creamy, slightly sour, a wee bit sweet, and of course, smokey. I was intrigued and knew I had to have more, yet, having ventured into the market at the ultra-busy lunch-hour, I didn't want to bother the kind deli man with questions, and instead went along my merry way.

A few nights later, I called and asked for the ingredients (later I found out they would have given me the actual recipe, but hey, that would have taken some of the fun out of it) and recreated it on my own with changes. One of my additions was TVP, or texturized vegetable protien. It is a great pantry staple and I always have some on hand. While you could make a vegan version, mine is simply vegetarian. But either which way, it's something different and really flavorful for sure.

I was unfamiliar with field roast, and had to go buy a packet. It is one of those meat replacement products (based on seitan) that aren't on my radar much. It had a sort of nutty, wheaty, pleasantly chewy, slightly smokey sweet tomato flavor. Reading their website, I have to say, they (or he, founder David Lee) are just the kind of company I like to support. Small, family owned, socially conscious and making a damn fine product. I will have to try more of their offerings.

The salad was without a doubt, delicious, and something I will make again. It would be perfect for a picnic or a quick lunch served on a wheat roll with a big glass of apple cider. You could serve it in any place you would tuna salad I suppose. Try it, and enjoy.

4 slices Smoked Tomato Field Roast, crumbled
2 stalks celery, minced
1/4 red onion, minced
A few chives, minced
1 heaping tablespoon pickle relish (secret ingredient indeed)
1 cup TVP, soaked in water until soft and drained
2 teaspoons homemade mayonnaise

Combine all in a bowl, and stir. Season to taste with salt and pepper. I know, its a "duh" kind of recipe, but hey, those are useful too. I do hope you'll try it.

Will keep in a covered container for up to five days.

Makes enough for 2-4

_______________________________

In the US, if you have questions about meat, poultry, or egg safety call the USDA Meat and Poultry Hotline at 1-888-674-6854. The Hotline is staffed by food safety experts weekdays from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Eastern time.

"Grains, legumes, and/or dairy were generally not available to hunter-gatherers; such foods were provided in significant quantities only via agriculture, and have been a significant part of the human diet for only about 10,000 years or less." - Beyondveg.com

North Americans eat, on average, 53 pounds of bread per year. A family of four could live for 10 years off the bread produced by one acre of wheat. One bushel of wheat will produce 73 one-pound loaves of bread. AG Day

Labels: , ,


Comments:
Rachael,
I checked the field roast website and was very intrigued. Never heard of the stuff before.
I am now searching for the vegan white truffle pate.
 
Hey!
My name is Jennifer and I work for Field Roast! Just checked out your blog...hope we are still on your radar!
 
Post a Comment

<< Home
Post a Comment

<< Home
... Chefs Blogs


... Click for Beverly Hills, California Forecast


This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?



All of the original words and pictures on this site are copyrighted property. (So there. Nyah.) With that in mind, please ask permission first and give due credit, if you plan on reproducing any part of it. Thanks so much!

2003-2008 COPYRIGHT (C) Fresh Approach Cooking