Thursday, February 02, 2006

 

Seared Tuna with Sesame and Orange Zest

.
Greetings from the land of milk and honey!

I know I have been a bit of a slacker with the whole posting thing lately, but my life has really been crazy hectic. I started my new gig last week, and am rapturously happy if not busy as sin. The people are nice (I know you were concerned) and the view out of my office window is of our friendly neighborhood Bloomingdales, so that is a great motivator to be the super star they think I am. Sure, being employed has cut into my fun time, but so far, I haven’t noticed too much. Its all so new!

Now let’s talk tuna, shall we? Mmm. Tuna. Me likey.

What I love so much about working with tuna is that if you have a truly great bit, anything you do to it is just icing on the cake. Am I right? Sparkling fresh tuna can be melt in your mouth delicious. This recipe sure is.

For this particularly tasty little entrée, all I did was coat with a simple mixture, sear, and voila, a perfect complement of crunchy warmth and smooth coolness. It is quite rich, so I suggest it as an appetizer, paired with a salad maybe. It is a recipe you can fiddle with easily and will come back to again and again. This particular version had me over the moon with the nutty, crunchy, zesty exterior working as a foil to the fish. Try it, and enjoy.

4 tuna steaks
1/2 cup panko bread crumbs
4 tablespoons white sesame seeds
2 teaspoons black sesame seeds
1 tablespoon dried orange zest
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
salt and pepper to taste


Combine the bread crumbs, black and white sesame seeds, orange zest and vegetable oil together and toss to coat. Pour onto a shallow dish and one at a time, press both sides of each of the tuna steaks into the mixuture to coat.

In a scortching hot dry pan, add the tuna steaks and sear for about 1 minute per side. Remove, slice and serve with wasabi-orange zest mayo or some soy sauce for dipping.

Makes enough for four

_____________________________________

Sesame seed is one of the first recorded seasonings. It grows widely in India and Asia. These tiny seeds come in shades of brown, red and black, but the most common color is a pale grayish-ivory. - Recipezaar.com

Fast Food chain Burger King's parent company said Wednesday it plans to sell shares to the public for the first time in the fast-food chain's 52-year history

American bread crumbs originated around 1947; around 1970, Panko bread crumbs originated in Japan. There are many differences between the two crumb styles, with the main ones being the texture and density. The American crumb coating is heavier and denser with the Japanese crumb being lighter and less dense. - Asian Food Grocer.com

Labels: ,


Comments:
Ah, tuna, me likey too! But I still think it's at its absolute best eaten as sashimi. My mouth still waters when I think of the fresh-out-of-sea tuna I hade in Indonesia. Muy Yummy!
 
I'm so glad your job is working out for you. Bloomingdales for a view? I'm jealous :) !

I love your little notes at the bottom. Where do you find all these interesting tidbits? And how do you decide what to share?
 
Antti - This is almost rare anyway, but I do love the idea of eating it right from the water...mmm.

And Mrs. PSD - The notes are a trade secret! Nah, I really just look up things that are relevantor of interest to me and add them in. Sometimes its cheeky, sometimes its factual, just whatever strikes my fancy really.
 
ooh! yummy, the pic looks so delish i nearly lick my monitor....Wish we can have fresher tuna here in malaysia
 
Love the simplicity of your recipe!
 
Yummy, yummy. That's a gorgeous photo, doll. Take away the bread crumbs, and I'm there!
 
Post a Comment

<< Home
Post a Comment

<< Home
... Chefs Blogs


... Click for Beverly Hills, California Forecast


This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?



All of the original words and pictures on this site are copyrighted property. (So there. Nyah.) With that in mind, please ask permission first and give due credit, if you plan on reproducing any part of it. Thanks so much!

2003-2008 COPYRIGHT (C) Fresh Approach Cooking