Thursday, January 11, 2007

 

Pear Charlotte

.
I should be at the gym, I should be at the gym, I should be at the gym.

I really should go to the gym.

Really. I should.

I used to go so often! What happened? (And how come I weigh less now than then?)

I should go to the gym.

But there is bread in the freezer left over from a party. And some pears. And I would be at the gym for two hours! That’s a long time.

Maybe I should just whip up a few charlottes.

Yes, I think I will do that instead.


1 loaf, thin sliced white bread
butter
6 pears, peeled and diced
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 teaspoon cinnamon
¼ cup brown sugar
¼ cup white sugar
2 teaspoons alcohol (I used Pear William. Vodka or rum will do)
Whipped cream for garnish

You will need a standard sized 9-muffin tin and a serrated knife.


Slice the crusts off of the bread. Reserve 9 slices

Butter one side of each slice. Cut each slice diagonally. Then slice each triangle into two scalene triangles (what? You don’t remember which kind that is? Check here.

Butter the muffin tin.

In a large bowl, combine the pear chunks, vanilla, cinnamon, sugars and alcohol. Toss to coat.

Now, starting with the pointed end of the buttered bread in the center of the muffin cup, layer, overlapping the bread and making sure it comes up over the lip. Each cup should take about five triangles. Smoosh the bread to fill in any gaps.

Fill the muffin cups with the pears. Fold over the ends of the bread and top with a circle cut from the reserved bread. Butter the bread top of the now contained pears.

Place on a baking sheet and bake for 45 minutes or until golden browned.

Remove and serve with whipped cream. They can also be cooled and frozen.

___________________________________

California produces 60% of the nation's total Bartlett pear crop

Charlotte - a classic dessert begins made with a mold lined with sponge cake, lady fingers or buttered bread

Girl Scout Cookies go on sale this weekend!!!!

Labels: ,


Comments:
you crack me up - i should go to the gym but i dont have any pears, bread or whipped cream as an excuse!
 
good choice, my dear. good choice.
 
Nothing like ditchin' the gym and making someting yummy!
 
That's practically health food, it's got pears in it! Fruit is good for you! Well worth it...
 
That sounds delicious.
 
I should note, I ate these, and then went to the gym...
 
Post a Comment

<< Home
Post a Comment

<< Home
... Chefs Blogs


... Click for Beverly Hills, California Forecast


This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?



All of the original words and pictures on this site are copyrighted property. (So there. Nyah.) With that in mind, please ask permission first and give due credit, if you plan on reproducing any part of it. Thanks so much!

2003-2008 COPYRIGHT (C) Fresh Approach Cooking