Friday, March 09, 2007

 

All-American Spinach-Artichoke Dip

.

Wowee, another artichoke recipe!

I know! It’s practically un-American, but until last night, I had never (to my knowledge) consumed that which is...(the oh-sure-now-you-tell-me it’s glorious) Spinach Artichoke Dip.

Of course, now I’m wondering if that is a good thing or a bad thing.

Sure, it’s come across my path. I mean, it’s on the buffet at most parties, and available in the market pre-made, but since I’m not much of a hot-creamy-cheesy-dip girl, it’s just never really drawn me in.

And truth be told, I’m pretty durned sure that somewhere in the back of my mind I just KNEW it would be supremely tasty and yet so insidiously bad for me that I should just plain avoid all contact. Kinda like cheesecake (which, I have had, I'm not from Mars!)

I have self restraint most of the time mind you, it's just that last night, what with the combination of good friends (one who a top-notch mixologist with a heavy hand) sitting around catching up, and well, self control weakens...you with me?

I dug in.

Sure, sure, it most likely could be pinned as the second biggest culprit in the American Obesity Epidemic...well, we’ll just have to turn a blind eye to that.

So now that I have taken the plunge, I suggest you do too, because it is hot-creamy-cheesy-goodness, with just enough spinach to let you deny it's ALL bad for you.

Oh and as for you skinny types, I just have this to say...the low fat version is for suckers. Go for the gusto, and let out your pants, because one bite, and you will be hooked...

12 oz. fresh baby spinach
3 Tbsp butter
1 (8oz.) package cream cheese
1 Tbsp garlic powder
2 (16 oz.) can artichoke hearts, drained and chopped
1 cup sour cream
1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
½ cup Monterrey Jack cheese, shredded
Parmesan cheese to top
Tortilla chips and salsa for serving

Rinse the spinach, then pile it all into a large pan over high heat until wilted. Drain spinach well, pressing between paper towels. Chop spinach.

Melt butter in a nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add cream cheese and cook 3-4 minutes, stirring constantly until cream cheese melts. Fold in spinach, artichokes, sour cream, and mozzarella cheese; stir until cheese melts.

Transfer mixture to a shallow baking dish. Sprinkle with remaining ¼ cup mozzarella cheese.

Bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes or until hot and bubbly. Serve immediately.

__________________________

In September 2006, The Scripps Research Institute and McDonald’s announced a collaboration regarding research and educational initiatives to drive progress toward a solution to childhood obesity and Type 2 diabetes. McDonald’s will contribute $2 million to The Scripps Research Institute to address these critical health issues facing America’s youth. - McDonalds.com

The first Chili's Restaurant opened in Dallas, Texas in 1975.

The artichoke is an unopened edible bud of a perennial thistle plant native to the Mediterranean.

Labels: ,


Comments:
but the good-for-you-ness of the spinach makes it all okay, right?? At least that's what I'll tell myself :) Thanks for the recipe--this is something I've only eaten at restaurants.
 
Ooh, thank you lots for the recipe! And I agree with you about the low-fat version. If you're going to splurge, do it right! I can't stand "thinning down" good bad-for-you recipes!
 
And let us not forget, the artichokes are fiber! So it's even that much better for us. (Ha.)

And speaking of forgetting, I left out that the garlic should be added with the artichokes, and the parm should go on top when baking. Doh!!
 
I've been reading your blog for a while, just haven't commented before ... I DO happen to be a hot-creamy-cheesy dip kind of person, and make dips similar to this for parties and potlucks all the time.

It's so hard to resist once you've tried it, isn't it?

And by the way, I do usually make a somewhat light version, if only because Daisy Light and neufchatel cheese are what we keep in the house. But full fat cheeses. And absolutely NO fat-free anything! So it doesn't put much of a dent in the bad-for-you-ness or in the taste. hah!
 
Post a Comment

<< Home
Post a Comment

<< Home
... Chefs Blogs


... Click for Beverly Hills, California Forecast


This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?



All of the original words and pictures on this site are copyrighted property. (So there. Nyah.) With that in mind, please ask permission first and give due credit, if you plan on reproducing any part of it. Thanks so much!

2003-2008 COPYRIGHT (C) Fresh Approach Cooking