Wednesday, May 02, 2007

 

Lavender Creme Brulee

.
So lil’ ol me, I’ve never spent springtime in Provence. I’ve been there in the somber, quiet, winter, and being a fan of sizzling heat, I have of course been there at the height of summer. You know, when the thermometer hits “melt.” Ahhh. I love it. Sublime.

But springtime? The prime time? The fabled time in a magical place? Not so much.

(Wow, I think I’m jonesing a vacation.)

But hey, that is why I cook. I can make something like this ethereal delight and know what it is like to sit staring out at a field of purple blossoms, their fragrance carrying me away.

And who doesn't love a field of flowers. Well, other than people with allergies I suppose. Those people should opt out. Or make creme brulee. Then again, you should too. (Make creme brulee I mean, not opt out of enjoying a field of flowers...oh dear, am I still typing?)

Crème Brulée is a lot easier to make than you might think. Besides having to let it chill, there isn’t a whole lot to it.

Simmer, stir and strain. Boom, you’re in.

And the brulée part...you know, making that shattering sugar, well, that's just good fun.

Sugar, burned to a golden brown, on top of chilly-smooth floral-infused custardy cream. That is the bit that makes it all worth it. You can use a broiler, or a blow-torch. (I opt for the latter) Either which way, it is essential to the dish. Without doing that, its just crème. Delicious, but not quite...springtime in Provence.

So try this my peaches, and enjoy!

4 ½ cups heavy cream
3 Tbsp dried lavender flower, or 4 tablespoons fresh
6 egg yolks
1/3 cup granulated white sugar
Additonal sugar to top


Heat your oven to 300F.

In a large saucepan, combine the cream and lavender and bring to a gentle boil. Remove from the heat and let the lavender infuse with the cream for 5 minutes.

Whisk the egg yolks and 1/3 cup sugar until light and creamy. Strain the lavender buds from the cream. Slowly pour the cream into the egg and sugar mixture, blending well.

Divide the cream between 6 ramekins. Put into a pan and carefully fill the pan with warm water, until it reaches halfway up the sides of the ramekins.

Bake custards until set around the edges, but still loose in the center, about 40 to 50 minutes. Remove from oven and leave in the water bath until cooled. Remove the ramekins and chill for at least 1 hour, or up to 2 days.

To serve, sprinkle one teaspoon of sugar over each custard. Melt the sugar with a blow-torch or place under broiler. It's a good idea to re-chill custards for a few minutes before serving.


________________________

The Rock Goddess and I ate dinner at Pizzaria Mozza last night. Oh my. It certainly does live up to the hype. I just have one complaint. If it’s a pizzeria, why in the heck don’t they deliver??? :-)

May 2, 2007 is
$0.31 scoop night at Baskin Robbins Ice Cream Stores. Head on down, it’s for a good cause.


Labels: ,


Comments:
I adore creme brulee - so easy to make, but elegant enough to serve to guests. This version, with the lavender, is just gorgeous. Must try.

Cheers!
 
Your creme brulee is very beautiful, I love that with lavender is very original. Congratulations
 
I had some lonely looking lavendar buds in my pantry so I decided to try this for dessert tonight. I was fab! Thanks for the recipe!
 
Post a Comment

<< Home
Post a Comment

<< Home
... Chefs Blogs


... Click for Beverly Hills, California Forecast


This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?



All of the original words and pictures on this site are copyrighted property. (So there. Nyah.) With that in mind, please ask permission first and give due credit, if you plan on reproducing any part of it. Thanks so much!

2003-2008 COPYRIGHT (C) Fresh Approach Cooking