Tuesday, May 29, 2007

 

Pasta:Salad with White Beans and Roasted Peppers

.
Now lookie here. As a girl who cares about her figure, I can assure you, I completely get it with the whole low-carb thing. I mean, cutting out those big-bad empty calories makes total sense. And this time of year, well, let’s just say, a few less slices of white bread would do us all a bit of good.

But just because something is logical my sweet juicy peaches, doesn’t mean the whole world is on board…

So there has to be compromise. A middle ground. A place where everyone can meet, eat and rejoice.

And this wiz-bang Pasta:Salad is the answer, lemme tell ya.

I just dashed off a bowl of seasonal, highly flavorful, outrageously fantastic veg and whatnot and then divided it between a bowl of chilled fusilli for those around me who eat carbs and tossed the rest in another bowl of perky-peppery greens (Arugula actually.) for the kids avoiding noodles and whatnot.

It’s a medley of flavors that shout summertime, with out without those pesky carbs. And owning to my obsession with all things spicy and citrus, it has zip. The beans add a nice creaminess to balance the heat of the chile flakes and chile oil and the cooling, crunchy fennel adds that something special to make it a sassy delight.

So try this my dears, and enjoy!

1 small bulb fennel, sliced medium thick
10 picholine olives, pitted and rough chopped
1 large orange bell pepper, roasted, peeled, deseeded and sliced
½ cup white beans, rinsed (this is approx. I used ¾ of a standard can)
Arugula
Cooked pasta
Zest and juice of one small orange
2 T. olive oil
1 teaspoon chile oil (optional)
1 pinch (to taste) chile flakes
Salt

In a medium sauce-pan, heat the zest, juice, oils and chile flakes over a medium flame until just simmering.

Add the fennel, olives, pepper and beans and toss to coat. Remove from the heat and add the pasta or let cool and add to the salad greens. Add salt and pepper to taste.


_______________________________________

Arugula, which it today classified as an herb, was commonly featured in ancient meals. The Romans used the leaves in salads and made aromatic oils from the seeds. Arugula seed has been a frequent ingredient in aphrodiasiac potions since the first century.



Labels: , , , ,


Comments:
Rachel, it's fabulous. And you could use Dreamfields pasta and it would be even lower in carbs. I raise my right hand and solemnly swear it tastes just like regular pasta. And they even make Rotini.
 
Arghh, as soon as I hit publish I realized I spelled your name wrong. Sorry. Everyone in the world spelly my name Kayln or Kaylyn so I know what it's like.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home
Post a Comment

<< Home
... Chefs Blogs


... Click for Beverly Hills, California Forecast


This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?



All of the original words and pictures on this site are copyrighted property. (So there. Nyah.) With that in mind, please ask permission first and give due credit, if you plan on reproducing any part of it. Thanks so much!

2003-2008 COPYRIGHT (C) Fresh Approach Cooking