Monday, October 22, 2007

 

Homestyle Meatloaf with Sundried Tomatoes & Shallots

.
This weekend, as the Ombudsman graciously attempted - gin and tonic in hand - to tackle yet another one of my hare brained home-improvement projects (hare brained because I think them up and then pout until he agrees to try and help. And since he is only a smidgen more handy than I, it never really turns out well. Bless his heart.) he gazed back to find me perched on the bed wearing the latest in a long line of gold colored high-heels I have a habit of purchasing, and a short, loud, nearly sheer, multicolored dress.

Laughing (and pointing, if I recall. Then again, my G&T had already been drained.) he proclaimed he finally had a motto for my as-yet-un-realized family crest.

"Overdressed for the occasion, underdressed for the weather."

Brilliant.

If only I had paid attention in Latin. I would have it translated immediately and engraved onto the nearest engraveable object.

An hour later, project (sort of) complete, (I think I have to have someone come in and touch it up...) we dined on this outrageously delicious loaf-o-meat.

Rich, dense flavors. The peak of perfection. A flawless dish for an autumn evening.

Fancy dress optional.

2 T vegetable oil
3 shallots, rough chopped
2 carrots, peeled and minced
1 pound ground turkey
½ pound ground beef or pork
3/4 cups fresh cracker meal or breadcrumbs
1 cup sun-dried tomatoes, minced
1/2 cup whole milk
2 eggs
2 teaspoons each, dried oregano and rosemary
Salt and pepper
3/4 cup (more or less) ketchup mixed with 1 T chipotle chile with adobo sauce

Preheat your oven to 350 F.

Using bakers spray or vegetable oil, lightly oil a standard loaf pan.

Heat oil in heavy medium skillet over medium heat. Add shallots and sauté for about 5 minutes. Add the carrots and sauté until vegetables are very tender, about 15 minutes longer. Transfer to large bowl.


Add all remaining ingredients except ketchup to vegetables in bowl. Mix thoroughly. Transfer to prepared pan. Bake 1 hour. Brush with ketchup and bake 15 minutes longer.



______________________________

I am a junkie for this site, and it's all for a good cause!

Want to make good seafood choices? Check out the Marine Stewardship Council

Are you reading Nook and Pantry yet?

Hardee's restaurants has introduced the new Country Breakfast Burrito. It is a two-egg omelet filled with bacon, sausage, diced ham, cheddar cheese, hash browns and sausage gravy, in a flour tortilla. The burrito contains 920 calories and 60 grams of fat. - AP

Labels: ,


Comments:
You and the Ombudsman are hilarious. !
 
Whats a G&T?
 
The improved version of skednick!
 
Myrna - Thanks!

Nika - Gin and Tonic

Toni - Don't know what that is! LOL.
 
I haven't recovered from my childhood fear of meatloaf, but this take on it, and your sense of humor have gotten me one step closer for sure!!
 
I believe the meatloaf is making a comeback. I've seen it on many blogs and in cooking magazines this year. I think it's a sign that I should make one. I like the addition of the sun-dried tomatoes in particular.
 
I think the motto is

"Quoque regius pro vicis , sub indutus pro tempestas."

Perhaps a tatoo is in order.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home
Post a Comment

<< Home
... Chefs Blogs


... Click for Beverly Hills, California Forecast


This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?



All of the original words and pictures on this site are copyrighted property. (So there. Nyah.) With that in mind, please ask permission first and give due credit, if you plan on reproducing any part of it. Thanks so much!

2003-2008 COPYRIGHT (C) Fresh Approach Cooking