Thursday, November 15, 2007

 

Haricot Vert with Filberts (Or, Green Beans with Hazelnuts)

.
Hello my dears!

I'm starting this post with a bit of info I am certain you don't need...but following it up at the bottom with a recipe that I am certain you do need...because the taste sensation is just too divine to pass up.

The somewhat (or, you know, entirely) irrelevant info, that I am compelled to share first, is that I have got a stupendously random song (sorry for the lame link, there doesn't seem to be a proper video) stuck in my head in my head on auto-loop.

ACK!

I have only the slightest notion how it got there, (Okay, I confess, I know perfectly well how it got there, but I cannot fathom how it became so deeply lodged) and in all honesty, it's driving me to the brink...la lalalalla la la. The brink I say!

For DAYS, (going on weeks frankly) all the blessed souls around me have been pleading (at first with their eyes, then quite vocally) that I stop tra-la-la-ing the refrain every time there is even a hint of a lull in conversation... it really is that...well, catchy actually, but ultimately, bothersome.

So tell me my sweets, is there a cure? Is there anything to be done?

Whoa is me.

And much like that song, this recipe* is driving me to distraction as well. I must have some sort of compulsive disorder.

(I am hoping just writing about it here will have the desired therapeutic affect...my sanity depends on it!)

Happily, the dish (unlike the lovely song) is easy to ingest, and that makes a happy girl indeedeeeee.

The combination of flavors and textures, the way it smells as it bubbles and sputters in the pan, it has a grip on me. I crave it.

And - bonus - it's perfect for a Thanksgiving side dish.

So my peaches, try it, and taste the joy.


2 Tablespoons butter
1 pound/4 cups French green beans, trimmed
1/4 cup filberts
Salt, pepper and lemon zest to season


In a large saute pan, melt the butter then add the beans and nuts. Let that cook until the butter is slightly browned, when that happens, remove from the pan, toss with salt, pepper and zest and serve.

_________________________

The Hazelnut Growers of Oregon accounted for 1/3 of the nation’s 27,000-ton production last year. Virtually all U.S. hazelnuts are grown in Oregon.

*The original version of this recipe was given to me by She-Who-Inspires-Me, AKA, Taji, at Simple Gourmet

Fresh beans are classified into two basic categories: edible pod beans and shell beans. Green beans, otherwise known as snap or string beans, are the most popular edible pod bean in the United States. The lima bean is the most common shell bean sold in the United States.

Jamie Oliver will be returning to The Food Network with a new show called Jamie at Home. The show will feature him preparing meals with produce from his country garden. Each episode will feature a different ingredient and show a variety of recipes that focus on that ingredient. The show premiers on Saturday, January 12, 2008



Labels: , , ,


Comments:
A wonderful idea! I also like mixing vegetables with nuts - they complete each other so well.
 
Ooh, I am so making this for Thanksgiving. That cream-fest needs some crunch.

And thanks for commenting on my blog, I feel like Madonna just complimented me on my open-mic! :)
 
Thanks, now I have that song stuck in my head too!

LOL.

Beautiful picture, very moody. Fits the song!
 
Post a Comment

<< Home
Post a Comment

<< Home
... Chefs Blogs


... Click for Beverly Hills, California Forecast


This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?



All of the original words and pictures on this site are copyrighted property. (So there. Nyah.) With that in mind, please ask permission first and give due credit, if you plan on reproducing any part of it. Thanks so much!

2003-2008 COPYRIGHT (C) Fresh Approach Cooking